A New Approach to Treatment of Depression
A non-invasive treatment for Depression and Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is now available in Dallas, Texas. Neurologist, Dr. Spencer Miller, has brought this incredible technology to Dallas. It’s called MeRT, which stands for Magnetic e-Resonance Therapy. Simply stated we use a magnetic field to stimulate and balance brain function, guided by very sophisticated imaging and diagnostics.
“This has been used successfully to treat Depression, particularly when medications have not helped or caused side-effects not easily tolerated,” said Dr. Miller.
The patient’s initial tests are analyzed very carefully as to the brain’s pattern of function and activity. Through this detailed analysis, we are able to determine the correct neural synchronization. This information is then used to devise a highly personalized protocol for each patient, with the purpose of encouraging improved brain communication. This can lead to significant clinical improvements.*
MeRT Treatment for Major Depressive Disorder
Here at the Brain Treatment Center Dallas, Dr. Miller and his staff offer MeRT for Major Depressive Disorder. The neuromodulation equipment used in the MeRT process has been cleared by the FDA in the treatment of depression.
MeRT is a unique and improved version of TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation), and is a much more individualized approach to brain modulation, and is tailored to the patient’s needs based on frequency, location, and power used. TMS modulates the brain’s electrical activity by using magnetic fields which pass through the scalp from an electromagnetic coil, however, it is important to note that TMS is a generalized approach to neuromodulation because it is only able to target a single location in the brain with a single frequency.
We perform a quantitative EEG before modulation treatment starts in order to determine exactly the frequency of your brain.
MeRT. is a cutting-edge treatment protocol that combines technologies of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS, an FDA cleared therapy), Quantitative Electroencephalogram (qEEG), and Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG) to analyze and formulate treatments that are tailored for each individual’s unique brain pattern.
Most TMS treatments are used to deliver stimulation to one area of the brain at a fixed frequency for all patients, however, MeRT is more evolved. Our MeRT is highly individualized as to frequency and location based on initial thorough testing and evaluation. This customized, scientific approach is unique to each patient.
Treatment for depression is usually 4-8 weeks. Appointments are 30-45 minutes in length, Monday through Friday. Generally, the patient will begin to notice improvements during the first week. Once treatment is completed, there is not usually a need for any follow-up treatment for depression.
Do You Have Questions?
Contact our clinic today. Our New Patient Coordinator is ready to assist you. Or you can book an appointment for a consultation with Dr. Miller.
Major Depressive Disorder Symptoms
Symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder or Multiple Drug-Resistant Depression can range from mild to severe and can be quite debilitating, greatly affecting the quality of life and the ability to function normally. Depression can be acute, brought on by emotional or physical trauma, such as the death of a loved one, but in other cases, causation can be difficult to pin down. Symptoms of depression can include:
- Feelings of hopelessness, sadness, or emptiness.
- Emotional outbursts, even over insignificant matters.
- Loss of interest in most or all activities such as work, relationships, sex, or hobbies.
- Insomnia, or sleeping too much during the day.
- Unrelenting physical or mental exhaustion.
- Reduced or increased appetite leading to weight gain.
- Restlessness or agitation.
- Inability to think straight or trouble with short-term memory loss.
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness.
- Fixating thoughts on past failures or dwelling on past events.
- Physical symptoms with no known cause such as back pain, neck pain, or headaches.
- General feelings of unhappiness or sadness without knowing why.
- Thoughts of suicide, attempts at suicide, or death by suicide.
Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the United States and has been on the rise for adults and teens. 7.4% of teens in grades 9-12 reported they had made at least 1 suicide attempt in the past 12 months! For those who experience major depressive disorder, getting the right kind of help can be a matter of life and death.
MeRT Featured on Dr. Mark Hyman’s “Broken Brain” Podcast for Treatment of PTSD, TBI, and MDD
The famous podcast, “The Broken Brain,” promoted by Dr. Mark Hyman, featured utilizing MeRT for treatment of PTSD, Concussions, and Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI). Major Depressive Disorder and Suicidal tendencies are also discussed. If you or someone you know has experienced any of these conditions it is certainly worth listening to this.
Dr. Erik Won, from our Brain Treatment Center in California, speaks about the utilization of this technology to treat members of the military who have had traumatic brain injuries, concussions, or who have experienced PTSD as a result of their experiences, with many incredible successes.
With other repercussions that can occur, for both military and veterans, this is incredibly important. For example, suicide is at twice the rate for veterans, with approximately 17 veteran deaths per day. In a high-stress environment, such as serving in the military, the transition afterward can be complicated and there are often underlying reasons for conditions that may occur. MeRT may help to address these issues.
Contact our New Patient Coordinator for more Information
When many patients come to see us, they have lost hope as they don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. It’s rewarding as a practitioner to be able to help so many people realize a much better “normal” and a greatly improved quality of life.
If you have questions or would like to discuss our Treatment Protocols, we offer a Free consultation by phone. Our New Patient Coordinator will take the time to listen and explain. She is able to answer most questions and discuss our protocols, scheduling, fees, and other information. She is happy to assist you in any way she can.
Please call us to get more information about how our clinic and Dr. Miller may be able to help you with your health goals and to schedule an initial screening to see if MeRT may be an option.
Unfortunately, we do not accept insurance, nor file it on your behalf. However, we can provide you with CPT codes and a billing breakdown that you may submit to your insurance for possible reimbursement for conditions that have been FDA-cleared such as Major Depressive Disorder and OCD. On occasion, individuals have been successful in receiving reimbursement for EEGs and clinical evaluations, and possibly other elements for treatment, depending on the individual’s coverage. It has been our experience that Medicare does not reimburse any of the treatment costs.
For conditions other than Major Depressive Disorder and OCD, because treatment is considered “off-label,” insurance rarely reimburses any of the costs associated with treatment.
Starting as a New Patient
When you start as a new patient at the Brain Treatment Center Dallas, you will initially need two appointments, approximately two days apart. Both appointments will be about an hour in length. These appointments will be used to determine if Dr. Miller feels you can truly benefit from the MeRT [Magnetic e-Resonance Treatment] Program and, if so, to develop a tailored treatment plan based on your test results. Once you have done the testing and Consultation, you are not obliged to begin treatment. This is something that you will determine once you have seen your test results and consulted with Dr. Miller.
At the first appointment, we will go over your reasons for seeking help, your medical history, your health goals, and all of your symptoms. You will then begin initial testing, which will involve an EEG and an EKG. These are both completely painless and easy and are done right in our office. Your information and test results are then sent over to our scientific and clinical teams, who will carefully analyze the results and determine the current state and functioning of the brain together with Dr. Miller.
We use a patented, scientific approach with the neurophysiological data gathered through testing to then develop a highly customized treatment plan that is aimed at encouraging healthy brain communication and function.
At your second appointment, you will meet with Dr. Miller for a Consultation. He will discuss your test results and whether or not he and our scientific team feel that results may be achieved for you through our treatment protocol. This appointment will also serve to answer any additional questions you may have. After that second appointment, Dr. Miller will lay out your individualized treatment plan and the protocols to be followed for the best results. At that point, you may discuss fees, length of treatment, and schedules, and then decide whether to go forward and schedule your treatment.
Protocol Adjustments for COVID-19
The Brain Treatment Center Dallas is open for business. In accordance with government regulations and for the safety of our patients,the following procedures have been implemented:
- We respectfully ask that if you are sick or experiencing any symptoms of illness that you postpone your visit until you have been symptom-free for at least 14-days.
- Dr. Miller and our staff are fully vaccinated.
- We are currently unable to see any international patients until you are able to show proof that you have been in the country for at least 10-days.
- Our office is maintaining social-distancing protocols and limit the number of patients in the waiting room.
- We will disinfect the clinic between patient visits in order to keep your risk to a minimum.
- All patients (with the exception of children who are unable) are required to wear masks when entering the clinic. Please note that recent research has shown that some types of masks may not be as effective at reducing disease transmission. Effective immediately, anyone entering our facilities wearing an unapproved mask such as a valve mask, filter mask, neck gaiter, or bandana, will be asked by our screeners to replace it with an approved mask provided by the facility. Those wearing an N95 model with a valve will be allowed to wear a covering mask (disposable or cloth) over the N95.
- Dr. Miller is offering virtual consultations via Spruce or Skype, both of which are HIPAA compliant so that you can have your appointment from the comfort of your own home. These visits are done via telemedicine so Dr. Miller will be visible and right in front of you, just as he would be if you were seeing him in person. If you prefer an in-clinic consultation, we ask that you follow our social distancing protocols.
We value our patients, and want to make sure that you are still able to receive your treatment in a timely manner, however, due to the concerns regarding the Corona Virus, or COVID-19, we ask that you please adhere to the temporary procedures that we have implemented for everyone’s safety.
Call our New Patient Coordinator at
Or Fill in the form below and we will contact you.
Brain Treatment Center Dallas
*The Results shown are based on active and strict observation of our regimens. Results may vary based on individual user and are not guaranteed.